EMEP monitoring strategy 2020-2029
- Approved version of the EMEP Monitoring Strategy 2020-2029: (pdf)
Below is a chronological overview of some relevant material and discussions related revision of the EMEP Monitoring strategy for 2020-2029:
Draft2 of the Monitoring Strategy to be discussed at TFMM May 3rd 2018, Geneva
(Excel file of draft2)
- EMEP Steering Body and Working Group on Effects Bureaux Meeting
19 - 21 February 2018 (pdf)
- Third Joint session of the Working Group on Effects and the Steering Body to EMEP
11 - 15 September 2017 (pdf)
- EMEP-CCC presentation at EMEP Steering Body and Working Group on Effects bureaux meeting
20 - 23 March 2017 (powerpoint)
- A full overview of presentations considering EMEP observations, modelling and assessments,
we refer to TFMM
- For Aerosols and Reactive gases there is a close collaboration also with ACTRIS
For earlier versions of the EMEP monitoring strategy, please see below:
Revision of the EMEP monitoring strategy 2010-2019
- Approved version of the EMEP Monitoring Strategy 2010-2019 (pdf)
Comment VII: The 5th draft to be discussed at the Thirty-third session of the EMEP Steering body held in Geneva 7-9 September 2009 (draft not anymore linked here as it is outdated)
Comment VI: The 4th draft has been developed on the basis of comments received from a number of parties by June 1st. Minor comments related to typos
and wording are still welcome. (draft not anymore linked here as it is outdated
Comment V: Please send you comments at latest by May 1st. Received comments will be discussed with the Bureau and introduced to a final draft for an official SB-document.
Comment IV: The Bureau agreed to invite all parties to comment on the draft to ensure its approval at the 33rd session of the SB (the TFMM TF-meeting 2009 is held too late to allow updates to the draft)
Comment III: The Bureau concluded that the monitoring strategy should be separated from the overall strategy (March 3rd 09)
- Second draft: Combined strategy discussed at the Bureau of the EMEP SB, March 2009 (draft not anymore linked here as it is outdated)
Comment II: The EMEP bureau suggested at its fall meeting to integrate the monitoring strategy with the overall EMEP strategy
Comment I: The EMEP Steering Body took note of the draft and invited delegations to send comments by January 31 2009 (see point 33f of the minutes of the 32nd session of the SB).
First draft presented at the EMEP steering body September 2008. (draft not anymore linked here as it is outdated)
- Short summary of the Directive 2008/50/EC requirements of relevance for EMEP monitoring (document not anymore linked here as it is outdated)
- Outline of the revision process presented at the EMEP TFMM Bordeaux 2008 (document not anymore linked here as it is outdated)
- CLRTAP decision on its implementation. EMEP monitoring strategy 2004-2009
- Background document for the EMEP monitoring strategy 2004-2009 (see below)
- EMEP strategy 2000-2009
EMEP monitoring strategy, 2004 -2009
The monitoring strategy of EMEP has been subject to revision and the work is carried out by the EMEP Centres,
the Parties and the Scientific Community through the EMEP Task Force on Measurements and Modelling.
UN/ECE document of the Monitoring Strategy 2004-2009:
- As amended and adopted at the twenty-eight session 6-8 September 2004 (pdf).
- EMEP Steering Body discussions and adoption September 2004 (pdf).
The EMEP monitoring strategy 2004-2009. Background document with justification and specification of the EMEP monitoring programme, 2004-2009.
Ed. by Kjetil Tørseth and Øystein Hov: (pdf)
This background document was presented at the 27th session of the EMEP Steering Body (September 8-10, 2003) providing an introduction to the revision process as well as in depth
discussions of the monitoring requirements in relation to the objectives. The strategy was welcomed by the Steering Body and it was further agreed that it covered all the major issues needed for
future monitoring. The level approach was approved, but several Parties expressed concerns about the costs associated with implementing the mandatory requirements proposed. T
he meeting thus concluded that the draft strategy should be used as a basis for further discussions with the Parties on the details of the level-by-level approach, and the TFMM is
expected to produce a final strategy for the next session of the Steering Body.
- Kahnert, M., Lazaridis, M., Tsyro, S., and Tørseth, K.: Requirements for developing a regional monitoring capacity for aerosols in Europe within EMEP, J. Environ. Monit., 6, 646-655, 2004.
Current status in EMEP
- The number of sites suggested in the strategy and the deficiency in the network today (not available anymore as information is outdated)
- Status of the measurement network (2001), including data submitted to ICP Forest and Airbase: (not available anymore as information is outdated)
Last updated: Jan 2022 by Wenche Aas