EMEP Task Force on Measurements and Modelling (TFMM)
Next TFMM meetings
10-12 May 2023 in Warsaw, Poland
This year, we identified the following key topics for which we encourage specific contributions:
To register for the meeting, please fill
this form by 31 March 2023. Also note that for the hybrid sessions, the connection link will only be provided to registered participants
- O3/VOC/SOA EMEP Intensive Measurement Period of 2022 (first findings and follow up actions, including designing a future modelling exercise)
- Heavy Metals and POPs (Eurodelta-BaP multi-model comparison, microplastics, chemical of emerging concerns, pesticides)
- Interlinkages between air pollution, climate change, and biodiversity (including focus on methane and black carbon, impact of climate change on air pollution)
- General Country updates or considerations for the 2024-2025 Workplan
Worshop on Chemical of Emerging Concerns (CECs) during fall 2023
Most likely to be held in Norway. Information will follow.
Intensive measurement periods (IMPs)
IMPs Summer 2022 on ozone episodes:
One week of intensive measurements of a range of VOCs (NMHCs, O-VOC, terpenes) and biogenic organic aerosol tracers were conducted
during a summer heat wave 12- 19 July 2022. The motivation behind the study was to investigate the relevance and importance of
difference ozone precursors during heat waves. Parties contributed with their own measurements in addition were manual devices for
sampling VOCs distributed and subsequently analyzed at centralized laboratories. Four different laboratories were responsible of
distributing the devices and analyze these for NMHs, O-VOCs, Terpenes, and organic tracers respectively.
A summary of the results will be presented at the TFMM meeting in Warsaw in Poland 10-12 May, and a resume will be written for
the EMEP status report 2023. The plan is to publish the results in a peer reviewed journal in the fall 2023.
- Information of the participating sites and measurements in
google sheet "Report".
- The data are available in
EBAS. Choose project CAMPAIGN and year 2022.
- The concept note
describes the rational and setup of the campaign.
- The are sampling instructions
for handling the samplers for centralized analysis.
- December 2017 - March 2018. EMEP/ACTRIS/COLOSSAL winter campaign on apportionment of equivalent black carbon (EBC) into fossil fuel (EBCff)
and wood burning (EBCwb) at sites with multi wavelength measurement of the absorption coefficient, combined with off line measurements of levoclucosan.
More information and access to the data are availible from this DOI.
- June 8 to July 12(17) 2012 and Fri 11 jan - Fri 8 Febr 2013.
List of sites which were participating.
These intensive periods were coordinated with ACTRIS, ChArMEx and PEGASOS.
Paper published by Alastuey et al.: Geochemistry of PM10 over Europe.
- 2012. One year intensive measurements with Aerodyne Aerosol Chemical Speciation Monitor (ACSM) at the EMEP/ACTRIS sites started in summer 2012.
Coordinated by PSI, Switzerland.
- October 2008 and March 2009. Coordinated together with EUCAARI. Papers published by:
- Yttri et al.: Characterizing the carbonaceous aerosol at nine rural sites in Europe.
- Crippa et al..: Organic aerosol components derived from 25 AMS data sets across Europe using a consistent ME-2 based source apportionment approach
- June 2006 and January 2007. The first intensive measurement periods.
Paper published by Aas et al.: Lessons learnt from the first EMEP intensive measurement periods.
EMEP TFMM Trend assessment
A TFMM wiki page
was created to exchange and share information on recommended methods used for the TFMM trend assessment, and
the benchmark datasets, which was used for calculation trends.
Joint Report of the EMEP Task Force on Measurements and Modelling (TFMM), Chemical Co-ordinating Centre (CCC), Meteorological Synthesizing Centre-East (MSC-E), Meteorological Synthesizing Centre-West (MSC-W)
EMEP/CCC-Report 1/2016: pdf
EMEP case study on heavy metal pollution assessment
TFMM and MSC-E organize a case study on a complex assessment of heavy metal pollution in EMEP countries.
- The 23rd annual TFMM meeting
3-5 May 2022, online meeting
- The 22nd annual TFMM meeting
10-12 May 2021, online meeting
- The 21st annual TFMM meeting
11-13 May 2020, online meeting
- The 20th annual TFMM meeting
7-9 May 2019 in Madrid, Spain
- The 19th annual TFMM meeting
2-4 May 2018 in Geneva, Switzerland
- The 18th annual TFMM meeting
3-5 May 2017 in Prague, the Czech Republic
- EMEP/CCC Technical workshop on data quality and data reporting
26-28 October 2016 at NILU, Kjeller, Norway.
- The 17th annual TFMM meeting
18-20 May 2016 in Utrecht, the Netherlands
- EMEP MSC-W Model Training Course
13-14 October 2015 in Oslo, Norway
- The 16th annual TFMM meeting
5-8 May 2015 in Krakow, Poland
- TFMM trend analysis workshop
17-18 November 2014 in Paris, France
- Training course on data formatting and data submission to EBAS
8-9 October 2014 at Kjeller, Norway
- The 15th annual TFMM meeting
8-10 April 2014, Bologna, Italy
- 14th TFMM annual meeting
6-8 May 2013 in Zagreb, Croatia
- EMEP MSC-W Model Training Course
24-26 April 2013 in Oslo, Norway Information
- 13th TFMM annual meeting
17-19 April 2012 in Gozo, Malta
- 12th TFMM annual meeting
11-13 May 2011 in Zurich, Switzerland
- EMEP Training course on Quality assurance, data handling and reporting
Kjeller, Norway, 19-21 October 2010
Brussels, Belgium, 14-16 June 2010
- 11th annual TFMM meeting
Larnaca, Cyprus, 13-14 May 2010
- TFMM workshop
Ispra, Italy 19-20 November 2009
- 10th annual TFMM meeting
Paris 15-17 June 2009
- Unified EMEP modLarnaca, Cyprus el training course
Oslo, 13 October 2008
- TFMM workshop: Bridging the modelling scales for a better assessment of air pollution
Oslo, 14-15 October 2008
- 9th meeting of the Task Force
Bordeaux, France 23-25 April 2008
- Back to back workshop withTFEIP
Dublin, Ireland 22-23 October 2007
- 8th meeting of the Task Force
Dessau, Germany, 25-27 April 2007
- Workshop on the EMEP PM assessment report
Paris, France, November 29th to December 1st 2006
- SeventhMeeting of the Task Force
Helsinki, Finland, 10-12 May 2006
- EMEP/TFMM Workshop on HM/POP model review
Moscow, Russia, 13-14 October 2005
- Sixth Meeting of the Task Force
Zagreb, Croatia, 4-7 April 2005
- Workshop on the implementation of the EMEP monitoring strategy
Oslo, Norway, 22-24 November 2004
- EMEP Workshop on Particulate Matter Measurement & Modeling
New Orleans, April 20-23, 2004,
- Fifth Meeting of the Task Force
Prague, Czech Republic, 31 March-2 April 2004
- Workshop to review and evaluate the Unified EMEP Model
Oslo, Norway, 3-5 November 2003
- Fourth Meeting of the Task Force
Valencia, Spain, 9-11 April 2003
- Workshop on the EMEP Assessment Report under the Task Force on Measurements and Modelling
Vienna, Austria, 4-6 November 2002
- Third Meeting of the Task Force
Geneva, Switzerland, 19-22 March 2002
- Second Meeting of the Task Force
30 May-1 June 2001, Portoroz, Slovenia
- First Meeting of the Task Force
23-25 October 2000, Vienna, Austria
Terms of reference - Contact persons
Last updated: June 2020 by Wenche Aas